The Compliance Team is an essential component of Funding Circle’s second line of defence risk framework. We advise and challenge the Business Teams with respect to compliance with regulatory requirements and Funding Circle policies, and we monitor and test Business Team adherence to those requirements and policies to provide assurance to senior management and the Board of Directors.
We are looking to recruit an experienced, driven and ambitious Compliance all-rounder to make a real difference in this business-critical team. Your role will be to work closely with our Business Team colleagues to fully deploy the compliance plan in Europe, and also help define our position on regulatory issues, developing and executing our regulatory strategy. It would be helpful if you have a legal background.
You will provide the Compliance and Legal Leadership Team and Senior Business Management with a clear picture of how the business is complying with its obligations, identify areas for development and make constructive recommendations for improvement.
You will learn about our innovative, global organisation by being based in Amsterdam, reporting into the Senior Compliance Officer DE. You also may be assigned projects such as contract review and regulatory research which could be at the direction of the CE General Counsel.
Day to Day Responsibilities :
- Provide leadership in the development and maintenance of effective working relationships with the Netherlands Leadership Team and other key stakeholders within the business to support the business, (e.g. new products and projects).
- Proactively advise on key compliance themes and issues, including those identified by Compliance Monitoring and support activities such as the review and approval of marketing and other compliance-related materials originated by the business teams.
- Carry out risk-based Compliance Monitoring and Testing (M&T) of Funding Circle Netherlands ( FCNL’s) activities efficiently and to a high professional standard, including sample testing and fieldwork as required, keeping relevant parties informed of progress. Maintain well-organised records of review work and testing undertaken, and of progress against the overall Compliance M&T program. Apply vigilance, inquisitiveness, good judgment and common sense in all monitoring activities.
- Present and discuss initial M&T findings with business heads and Compliance Management, dealing with any challenge in a constructive and professional way. Keep management and the wider Compliance team informed and updated with progress.
- Support Funding Circle in defining its position on regulatory issues, and developing and executing its regulatory strategy. Use your detailed knowledge of laws, regulations and best practice to help grow Funding Circle’s business model, including those that impact both borrowers and investors.
- Advise on, negotiate and draft commercial contracts (including partnership and marketing agreements, IT and outsourcing contracts).
- Support the Dutch and European business units across a wide range of compliance and legal matters, including instructing and managing external counsel.
- Work with teams across Funding Circle and gain a deep understanding of their processes and the regulatory and policy impacts on their businesses. Be able to lead on aspects of policy development, e.g., the conduct risk management policy, including taking responsibility for updating and maintaining relevant Compliance owned policies and standards.
- Maintain an excellent technical knowledge of relevant regulations that affect FCNL, specifically, keeping up to speed with new developments and the latest regulatory position.
- Lead aspects of the periodic review and update the compliance risk assessment in line with the Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
- Take responsibility to protect the integrity and reputation of Funding Circle and promote a positive culture in relation to compliance and high standards of behaviour.
- Attend key business meetings. Where necessary, negotiate and influence to ensure compliance.
- Participate in strategic projects and initiatives with other legal and compliance professionals relating to the business.
- Carry out ad hoc work as directed by the Deputy Chief Compliance Officer, Senior Compliance Officer DE and the CE General Counsel.
Required Skills & Experience:
- You will have between 6 and 8 years Compliance (ideally Financial Services), or legal and Compliance experience. Experience of operating in multi-jurisdictional or complex environments would be an advantage.
- Great communicator – strong oral and written communications skills and an ability to challenge and influence. You will be multi lingual, fluent in Dutch and English and the ability to advise the business confidently and succinctly. Fluency in German would be an advantage.
- Practical understanding of regulations that affect Peer to Peer Lending platforms would be advantageous, and being able to demonstrate excellent working knowledge of Financial Services regulation, and interpretation of rules and expectations (e.g. AFM and DNB).
- Commercial and practical approach to challenging issues with an ability to remain objective and independent.
- Curious – always seek to understand the root cause of any issue
- Entrepreneurial/self-starter – you will need to work independently to deliver significant volumes of work.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic international team environment, leading projects with colleagues from different departments and offices, as well as independently.
- Determined – you will understand and overcome obstacles with the ability to work to tight timelines and explain and interpret complex legal and regulatory issues to a non-legal audience.
- Identification with our mission: ‘To Build a Better Financial World’.
- Alignment with our core values: Think Smart, Make It Happen, Be Open, Stand Together, Live the Adventure.
At Funding Circle there’s a mission that drives everything we do. Around the world we want to help small businesses get the finance they need to thrive, creating thousands of jobs as they drive the economy forward. In 2018 alone, these businesses unlocked 115,000 jobs, and contributed to £6.5 billion to GDP across our four markets.
With teams in London, San Francisco, Denver, Amsterdam and Berlin, we’re fusing finance and tech to create new opportunities for those who want to achieve more.
At Funding Circle, we celebrate and support the differences that make you, you. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. We truly believe that diversity makes us better.